I often will share some of my gym + running playlists that I love but since it is now summer, (well, officially next week) I’ve decided to implement a new music series for all you beach lovers. Each Wednesday I will share a themed playlist of some of my favorite tunes or recent song obsessions. I love high energy music especially for working out however sometimes I like to just chill to something a bit slower + softer. The theme of the week is “A Twist” which is versions of original songs that I just love. Check out 12 of my favorites.
1. This version of The Heart of the Matter is one of my favorite songs. I love the original by Don Henley however this version (heard on Brothers + Sisters) by India Arie is full of soul + love. It’s simply amazing.
2. Covering Whitney is very hard to do and most of the time, I don’t love it however Chvrches (pronounced ‘Churches’) is a Scottish electronic band that is only 3 years old. I happen to think this version of a Whitney favorite is very catchy.
3. Open Arms, originally by one of my favorite bands of all time Journey was re-made by Mariah and is just fabulous. Mariah simply sings the *&%$ out of this song!
4. XO released on Beyonce’s 5th studio album was twisted by John Mayer. I recently heard this in a spin class and it instantly struck my attention. Is it bad that I think it may even be better than the original?
5. If You Leave by Nada Surf was covered for the O.C which had some of the best cover songs I’ve ever heard. The original was recorded in the 80’s for Pretty in Pink by British band OMD.
6. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic, made famous by the Police is a classic. Sleeping At Last created this twist for Grey’s Anatomy this past season which caught my attention!
7. Starship’s We Built this City is one of everyone’s favorite 80s songs. This cover is much slower + softer which makes it an interesting version of this originally upbeat tune.
8. Once you get past the first minute of the song which I must say is a bit weird, this version of Against All Odds, originally by Phil Collins is quite interesting with a mix of different beats.
9. Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley is the most famous cover version of this 1984 classic. There are many cover versions of this song out there however this one is my most favorite.
10. Made popular by the revived version by Pearl Jam, Last Kiss believe it or not was originally performed in the 1960s. It however did not do well on the charts so most people immediately relate Last Kiss to the more recent version which is a favorite of mine by the great band.
11. Everybody Wants to Rule the World another popular tune with lots of cover versions floating around. My most favorite also performed on Grey’s Anatomy is by Aron Wright. It’s slow, soft and just a perfect song to relax to.
12. Another favorite by Sleeping at Last, the ever so famous Total Eclipse of the Heart. I still love the Bonnie Tyler + Nikki French versions however what is great about this version is how different it is from the aforementioned. Another great kick back and chill out song!